Guidelines for maintenance of day-to-day dairy by field functionaries/employees/officers
What is day-to-day dairy
It is a methodical recording of daily activities programmed and executed, along with results achieved and tail-end observation of the dairy-writer. It can be maintained in a blank register, date wise, where the daily recording extend to 2 or more pages. Other wise it can be maintained in a large sized printed dairy.
Purpose of the day-to-day dairy
This is a first hand record of information to monitor the programmes of the dairy writer and a source material for submitting daily reports.
Who is to maintain day-to-day dairy
Field level functionaries like, sales representative, business development managers, marketing manager, filed workers etc.
Within the office, section in-charge (Asstt. Manager and those in manager Grade) may also maintain daily in a modified from to record instructions they get from their superiors and the instruction they give to their subordinates, as also such discussions as made in meetings/conferences, which the officer attends, as also discussion with Visitors, For these Officers, Daily is an Information record for monitoring various subject matters they deal and to have effective follow-up on each item, No Reports are to be submitted by them based on these Diaries unlike the Field Functionaries.
IMPORTANCE OF DIARY MAINTENANCE TO FIELD FUNCTIONARIES.
Proximity and visibility at spot makes the performance of all employees at the office being quickly assessed. The strength and weakness are quickly known. Based on the same counselling and training facilities are being given to them to develop them. However, the Field Worker is not such a visible person of those who assess him at the office. Detailed Diary maintained by them and submission of Report on the data contained therein, helps to remove this information gap, and makes possible guidance/counselling being extended to them in all weak areas of their performance, where needed and to train them also where necessary. Likewise it also pin points good work being done by them, wherever the case may be, It is therefore important for field workers in the first place to discharge efficient and hard-work and in the second and equally these attributes and it is possible to assess their work.
WHAT IS TO BE RECORDED IN THE DIARY :
- Every Field Functionary has administrative Accountability, and needs supporting data.
- Every field functionaries does work on a day, which has already been programmed and approved by someone higher in rank to him. It is necessary that these predefined programmes are recorded.
- Every field functionary attends to number of jobs during a day to complete his programme for the day and these details are to be recorded on factual basis, as and when they are done/take place.
- At the end of the Day, the Diary Writer may have time to coolly contemplate and make his own assessments/conclusions of the days events. The Plus points, the Constraints faced, and the conclusions drawn by him.
The Daily should be divided into four parts, and the above four types of Data should be recorded sequentially one after the other.
- ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION include the following :-
- Place where you are halting.
- If you leave the place during the day, the time of leaving.
- If you happen to reach a new Station during the day, time when the new place is reached. Looking consecutively this portion of your dairy, it should be possible to accurately monitor your movements during that period.
- All messages received by you during the day, either by mail, FAX or Telephone etc.
- All Message, Mail, Reports sent by you on the day over any mode.
- PROGRAMMES APPROVED/MADE FOR THE DAY.
An employee at the Officer does not allotted work every day and we at the Senior Level in the Company will know beforehand what work he will be doing. The job to be done by the field staff should not be different form this. They are not to do jobs as decided by them at the spur of the moment, but according to a previously programmed plan, approved by their reporting officer. The Objectives setting for the day, or things programmed to be attended during the day to be entered in their part. This portion should have been entered in Part II, already when the programmes for a period are approved and hence on the particular this part is a Reference Section, for you to refresh what work you have to do for the day. These tasks to be attended should be listed one below the other in this part, and as your proceed during the day and complete these jobs, one after one, go on ticking/scoring the jobs completed, for your information, so that the residual entries in this part represent the unattended items. Thus, at the end of the day, some hobs were not attended during the day, which are originally programmed to be attended during this day, these will remain unticked/unscored in the diary and you will be in a position to identify them and if necessary to carry forward them to subsequent dates, either during the same or next visit to the place.
- ACTIVITY RECORDING PART.
Record events factually, briefly in this part, without your own observations and comments, as under:-
- All work attended during the day with particulars.
- All data collected from diverse sources during the day.
- All persons met during the day, with gist of discussion as relevant.
All jobs attended should recorded sequentially in the order as they took place with time marked.
- OBSERVATIONS & COMMENTS
In this part, you have to analyse your work during the day, and append your observations that you consider are relevant to make the information already recorded purposeful. You may write constraints, if any faced/expressed; reasons or causes as you consider for certain developments that you faced during the day as recorded in part III, the good work/positive achievements, factors showing good future potential etc.
Properly maintained the Diary will be a Master Record for you, a source of reference to get any data, you want to know about the work attended by you earlier. As entries are made on an on-going or staggered manner, it does not pose as a time consuming job.